Issues management is an important part of managing a business. Here are some tips to get you started.
First of all, always be prepared.
- Develop a plan for issues management. We never know when issues may arise. Therefore, make it a priority to make a crisis management plan.
- Identify key issues. How vulnerable are you to risks? Identify them and prepare background information.
- Identify your representatives. Who are your spokespersons in times of crisis? Identify them and give them issues management training, if needed.
- Build relationships with the media. Always maintain a media list of key journalists in your field. Establish warm relationships with them.
Next, try to control the narrative.
- Announce the issue yourself. Should issues arise, always announce your own crisis. If you don’t, someone else will.
- Educate your audience. Always use your chosen communication platform to educate on the issues. Explain yourself clearly.
- Express emotional appropriately. When needed, show genuine concern, regret, or sorrow.
Finally, keep these in mind.
- Don’t lie. Deception is never a good option.
- Stay accountable. Admit it if you’ve made a mistake.
- Be accurate. Keep your information accurate, informative, and available. Use external experts to support you when appropriate.
- Honesty is best. Always explain the issue, implications, precautions, and proposed solutions, with transparency and integrity.
- Be consistent. Helpfully explain and education for the duration of the issue.
To find out how we can help, contact our Canberra issues management firm today.