Many Canberra lobby groups have mastered the fine art of effective lobbying. Here are some tips for you to get started:
First of all, remember that good outcomes come from good preparation. Rely on your data, analysis, development of options, broad consultation among stakeholders, and follow up.
- Brief all sides. Consider the target’s ability to help you. Provide noteworthy context to the person you’re seeing by localising the issue.
- Provide information summaries. Respect the person’s time constraints and the many competing demands on his or her time.
- Be polite, professional, and prepared to develop relationships over time.
Some of the more common mistakes made by the novice Canberra lobbyist include:
- Time constraints. Plan your presentations ahead of time.
- “The Ask.” Don’t ask the politically impossible. Is the person really in the best position to help you?
- Accuracy. Only use credible facts and research.
- Pride. Don’t forget the realisation that much of your success comes from support built behind the scenes. Acknowledge the good work of key advisors, bureaucrats, and stakeholders.
To find out if we can help you with effective lobbying in Canberra, contact us today.